LUSKIN GLOBAL FACULTY RESEARCH
1. Michael Storper, Thomas Kemeny, Naji Makarem, Taner Osman. “The Rise and Fall of Urban Economies.” (Stanford Business Books, 2015)
2. Michael Storper. “Keys to the City: How Economics, Institutions, Social Interaction, and Politics Shape Development.” (Princeton University Press, 2013).
3. Michael Storper, Thomas Farole, and Andres Rodriguez-Pose. “Cohesion Policy in the European Union: Growth, Geography, Institutions.” JCMS 2011 Volume 49. Number 5. pp. 1089–1111.
1. World Development Report: Mind and Society. (2015). World Bank.
2. Babar Shahbaz, Qasim Ali Shah, Abid Q. Suleri, Steve Commins and Akbar Ali Malik. “Livelihoods, basic services and social protection in north-western Pakistan.” (2012). Secure Livelihoods Research Consurtium/ODI.
3. Annemarie terVeen, Stephen Commins, Jonathan Papoulidis. “From services to systems: Entry points for donors and non‐state partners seeking to strengthen health systems in fragile states.” (2011). World Vision Canada.
Paavo Monkkonen (2016): Are civil-law notaries rent-seeking monopolists or essential market intermediaries? Endogenous development of a property rights institution in Mexico, The Journal of Peasant Studies, DOI: 10.1080/03066150.2016.1216983
Monkkonen, P. Where do Property Rights Matter More? Explaining the Variation in Demand for Property Titles across Cities in Mexico, World Development (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2016.07.013
Susanna Hecht’s recent book, Scramble for the Amazon and the Lost Paradise of Euclides da Cunha won the Eleanor Melville Award for best book in Latin American environmental history from the American Historical Association, and the Carl O Sauer Award.
The Informal American City: Beyond Taco Trucks and Day Labor
Mukhija, V. and A. Loukaitou-Sideris, 2014, Cambridge, MIT Press.
[Reviewed in Planning (2014), Journal of the American Planning Association (2014),and Environment and Urbanization (2015, online)]
Squatters as Developers? Slum Redevelopment in Mumbai, Ashgate, Aldershot, England
Mukhija, V., 2003, Studies in Development Geography Series of King’s College and School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
[Reviewed in European Journal of Development Research (2005), Habitat International (2005), Urban Studies (2005), Architectural Science Review (2004), and Journal of the American Planning Association(2004)]
Guilamo-Ramos V, Jaccard J, Dittus P, Bouris A, Holloway I, Casillas E. Adolescent expectancies, parent-adolescent communication, and intentions to have sexual intercourse in inner city, middle school youth. Ann Behav Med. 2007 Aug;34(1):56-66. PMCID: not applicable
Wagner GJ, Holloway I, Ghosh-Dastidar, B., Ryan G, Kityo C, Mugyeni P. Factors associated with condom use among HIV clients in stable relationships with partners at varying risk for HIV in Uganda. AIDS Behav. 2010 Oct;14(5):1055-65. doi:10.1007/s10461-010-9673-4. PMCID: not applicable
Holloway IW, Jones HE, Bell DL, Westhoff CL. Men’s preferences for sexually transmitted infection care services in a low-income community clinic setting in New York City. Am J Mens Health. 2011 May;5(3):208-15. doi:10.1177/1557988310370359. PMCID: not applicable
1. “Can Mistargeting Destroy Social Capital and Stimulate Crime? Evidence from a Cash Transfer Program in Indonesia” (with L. Cameron), forthcoming in Economic Development and Cultural Change.
2.” Compensated for Life: Sex Work and Disease Risk” (with R. Arunachalam), Journal of Human Resources, Spring 2013, 48:345-369.
3. “To Work or Not to Work? Child Development and Maternal Labor Supply” (with P. Frijters, D. Johnston, and M. Shields), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, July 2009, 1(3): 97-110.
- 2016, (with Kweku Opoku-Agyemang, Genevieve Negrón-Gonzales, and Clare Talwalker) Encountering Poverty. University of California Press.
- 2015, forthcoming (co-edited with Emma Shaw Crane) Territories of Poverty: Rethinking North and South. University of Georgia Press, Geographies of Justice and Social Transformation Series.
- Won, Donghyeon, Zachary C. Steinert-Threlkeld, and Jungseock Joo. 2017. Protest Activity Detection and Perceived Violence Estimate from Social Media Images. In Proceedings of ACM Multimedia’17, Mountain View, CA, USA. October
23-27, 2017. Media: The Register
- Steinert-Threlkeld, Zachary C. 2017. Spontaneous Collective Action: Peripheral Mobilization During the Arab Spring. American Political Science Review 111(2): 379-403.
(1) Institutions and Investment in Natural Resources:
Parents’ Incomes and Children’s Outcomes: A Quasi-Experiment Using Transfer Payments from Casino Profits
Author: Randall K.Q. Akee, William E. Copeland, Gordon Keeler, Adrian Angold, and E. Jane Costello
Young Adult Obesity and Household Income: Effects of Unconditional Cash Transfers
Author: Randall Akee, Emilia Simeonova, William Copeland, Adrian Angold, and E. Jane Costello
Bhana, A., Mellins, C. A., Small, L., Nestadt, D. F., Petersen, I., Machanyangwa, S., Leu C. S., & McKay, M. (2016). Resilience in HIV+ Adolescents in South Africa. AIDS Care, 28(Supp 2), 49-59.
Parchment, T.M., Jones, J., Del-Villar, Z., Small, L., & McKay, M. (2016). Integrating positive youth development and clinical care to enhance mental health and improve high school graduation rates of young
men of color. Journal of Public Mental Health.
Ritterbusch, A, Correa, C. & Correa, A. (2018). Stigma-Related Access Barriers and Violence Against Trans Women in the Colombian Healthcare System Global Public Health doi:10.1080/17441692.2018.1455887
Ritterbusch, A. (2016). Mobilities at Gunpoint: The Geographies of (Im)mobility of Transgender Sex Workers in Colombia. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 106(2), 422-433. doi: 10.1080/00045608.2015.1113112
Karimli, L., Ssewamala, F. M.., Neilands, T.B., Wells, C. R., & *Bermudez, L. (2019) Poverty, economic strengthening, and mental health among AIDS orphaned children in Uganda: mediation model in a randomized clinical trial. Social Science & Medicine, 228, 17-24
Karimli L., Rost L., Ismayilova L. (2018). Integrating economic strengthening and family coaching to reduce work-related health hazards among children of poor households: Burkina Faso. Journal of Adolescent Health, Special Issue, Global Perspectives on Economic Strengthening, 62(1):S6–S14.
Bride Price and Female Education (with Nava Ashraf, Nathan Nunn, and Alessandra Voena), Forthcoming in the Journal of Political Economy.
Teacher Value-Added in a Low-Income Country (with Jishnu Das), Forthcoming in AEJ: Economic Policy. Formerly distributed as “The Misallocation of Pay and Productivity in the Public Sector: Evidence from the Labor Market for Teachers.”
Working paper with more discussion of contract teacher policy.