Working for an International Org, Demonstrating a New Model of Humanitarian Action

Alicia Nyein – GPA Summer ’22 Fellow

By Zin Mar (Alicia) Nyein, MPP 2023

As a first-generation, Burmese American who immigrated to the states at six years old I have always had a keen interest in international affairs and economic development. Upon entering UCLA, I knew I wanted to expand my understanding and that is why I pursued the Global Public Affairs certificate at Luskin. I took courses on global processes and institutions, regional development, and any that expanded my understanding. As summer internships were around the corner, I searched for internships in similar areas that would give me real-world experience. My past work experience was primarily in the federal government, and I wanted this opportunity to go into another sector especially non-profit. In searching and asking for various internships offered, I asked Director of Career Services Kevin Medina, and he pointed me towards Luskin iACT fellowship as my goals and experience seemed to align.

iACT is a Los Angeles-based international organization demonstrating a new model of humanitarian action, where they support people affected by conflict using their agency, voice, and capacity to create and manage programs that meet the immediate and sustainable needs of the community. Their programs operate in conflict-affected areas such as in Cameroon, Zambia, the Central African Republic, Tanzania, and Armenia. iACT’s mission is to inspire a more mindful humanitarian system and is doing so in its approach, programs, and even employment. When I started in the summer, they were at the beginning of their strategic planning in scaling their programs and going into the new avenue of consulting. In the United States, it is a very small team of four but their range of work from fundraising, scaling programs, sustaining programs, updating policies, and events were an abundance of work. During the summer they were given an opportunity by a donor on expanding one of their programs, their youth soccer program around the U.S.-Mexico border, and getting to be a part of the planning and beginning ventures was fascinating. I admire their action in not pushing their own agenda but by assessing the community’s needs and listening to what they need. The community’s needs are what is most important and can be understood by their working method and why the programs have been sustainable.

What I valued most about my summer at iACT was being part of the vital aspects of what it takes to manage a non-profit, I got to see the ins and outs of each aspect of their work, and everything was really collaborative. In past working environments, not everyone is included in each aspect of work but being part of iACT I could see every part of the organization which helped me understand the inner workings of it. Their annual fundraiser event at the beginning of fall is called impACT and to see into fruition all the layers for the event to happen and how immense the event was but how small the team was, just showed how mighty the team is. I am so grateful to iACT and the Global Public Affairs Program for the opportunity to gain such invaluable experience and do meaningful work.

0 replies